Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Some Fun Projects...

This post is long overdue and these projects were actually done before Easter, but I am just getting back "up" on life without feeling sick all day, every day. See, I decided to make Haddyn's skirt for Easter this year and I also wanted to make my first ragtime quilt for my friend Sissy's baby, who was due just after Easter. Well, I had no idea I was going to get pregnant and want to barf every day, multiple times actually, so it was purely amazing that I started on each of these projects back in January. (Mostly because I know that I TEND to procrastinate) Good thing I did...that is the only way they would have gotten finished--which they both did AND on time!! Yay for Kelli!
Here are some pics of the ragtime quilt. My sister, Dana, actually helped me quite a bit with the cutting and sewing the squares together, because I had not made this kind if quilt before, but I sewed all of the squares into rows and all of the rows into the blankie!! Then came the fun part...A LOT of cutting! It was fun, but really time consuming! I have enough squares to make another one, but I haven't gotten enough ambition to even attempt starting it. Here are some pics: (Before Wash) (After Wash):The best part was, when I was finished this is seriously what was left on my spool--talk about cutting it close!
Now on to Haddyn's skirt...
1-) Sew material into a skirt.2-) Hand sew the 3 layers of material into a flower.(Just checking size and arrangement)3-) Sew ribbon around skirt and
4-) Hand sew finished flower on. TADA!!!This was my first time following a pattern and it wasn't too bad. There is a lot of language to learn, but it was a fun process. I probably won't be making a habit out of this right away, considering I have two more babies on their way, but I am excited to have a sewing machine now! That makes it a lot easier to make projects as I want and at my slow speed without worrying about getting someone's machine back to them. Thanks for the awesome Christmas present babe!!

2 comments:

Dani said...

That blanket is darling!! I love the fabric, and those rag quilts are so dang cute. I made one for Brandt when we were in high school - they're a lot of work but so cute. And the skirt is cute too - someday I think I'll learn how to sew...maybe. I at least need to learn how to hem and do simple things like that.

p.s. congrats on the u/s news!! Glad to hear everything went well at your appointment!

Michelle said...

Those are both really cute! You did a great job! Sorry about all the throwing up though. That's definitely one of the hardest things during pregnancy. :( Hope you start to feel a little better really soon!